[lbo-talk] Detroit automakers fight to stem huge losses in Europe

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 10:41:39 PDT 2013

[WS:] Obviously, it is sheer nonsense to blame Obama for the decline of trade unionism, which has been going on for the past 30 or so years.

Thinking in systemic terms has been rare, even on the left. It is much easier to throw invective on the current occupant of the White House. Not to mention the fact that being cocky toward authority figures is very nacho and thus highly respected in many circles of the working class culture. It is more about style than substance - as Bourdieu convincingly argued.

"Cultural capital" is as if not more important than money and relationship to the means of production in class distinction. Virility, cockiness and chutzpah are an important currency in this cultural capital accumulation - hence their ubiquity in the political discourse, especially in this country.

There was a saying in the feminist circles in which I traveled some time ago, that in the 1960s men were making a revolution while women were making coffee. My ex, herself a radical feminist and a union organizer told me that this macho cockiness was still the case in the 1990s union culture - putting up a fight, or perhaps posturing to do so, was far more important than building alliances with effeminate liberals and their organizations.

Wojtek