[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 09:09:35 PDT 2013

Maladvocate

andie_nachgeborenen wrote:

> Gun rights are a core right wing shibboleth, like anti-abortion, therefore
> worth attacking.

Which basically validates the right wing belief that the left would remove gun rights completely if it could. I can think of no better way to further marginalize the left in the eyes of two thirds of the population.

^^^^ CB: I'd say more like this derives from the idea that the left's goals are not much furthered by gun rights, but their defense is a way that the right recruits through appeal to irrational ideas among the working class.

^^^^^^^

Left and right both support the first amendment, the fourth amendment, and others (albeit with minor differences in interpretation in places) so there is fertile common ground and plenty of it, save for this. Pity.

--ma

^^^^^ CB: What do you mean when you say the rightwing supports the first and fourth amendments ? Why are you looking for "fertile common ground" between the left and the right ?