[lbo-talk] Where is the left argument for gun rights?

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:49:27 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy: "If you dig into the tables about 20k of firearm deaths are suicide
> (about
> half the suicides), 11k homicides, and the balance accidents. "
>
> [WS:] I do not think the stats that you quote supports the point you are
> trying to make. The 20k suicides arguably would have been committed by
> other means if guns were unavailable,

Not according to this:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/

[...]

“Means reduction” (reducing a suicidal person’s access to highly lethal means) is an important part of a comprehensive approach to suicide prevention. It is based on the following understandings (click on each to learn more):

*Many suicide attempts occur with little planning during a short-term crisis. *Intent isn’t all that determines whether an attempter lives or dies; means also matter. *90% of attempters who survive do NOT go on to die by suicide later. *Access to firearms is a risk factor for suicide. *Firearms used in youth suicide usually belong to a parent. *Reducing access to lethal means saves lives.

Firearm access can be a politically-charged topic. This website, however, is designed to introduce a non-controversial, “lethal means counseling” approach to reducing a suicidal person’s access to firearms and other lethal means.

[...]

As far as the rest is concerned, I agree that restricts on guns that prevent much of the rest of the toll are unlikely. Why that means the toll should go unexamined is a mystery to me.

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."