[lbo-talk] On Marx and 'Marxism'

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 07:26:38 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> To which I reply: there is *no* "Marx." There is "*Marx and Engels*"
>
> It's cute how you think adding a second person to the equation is supposed to make Marx's oeuvre *less* discontinuous, rather than moreso!

^^^^^^^ CB: discontinous or not, it is more realistic. Less "religious" ; less as if Marx were a saint.

^^^^

>> Academics squirreling through a pile of unpublished notes
>
> See, this is the religious attitude I'm talking about. To you, unpublished manuscripts (i.e. those manuscripts known to us today as "Capital Vol. II and III") are perfectly authoritative as long as they're used to justify dubious notions like FROP (or whatever piece of orthodoxy one is defending), but as soon as a manuscript comes along that contradicts orthodoxy, then it's just mere "unpublished notes."

^^^^^^^^ CB: "Orthodoxy" ? Featuring the FROP is not the orthodoxy I subscribe to.

Seems to me that squirreling through notes that Marx didn't publish is basically ignoring Marx's judgement and conclusions as to what was worthwhile from his private thoughts, "brainstorms" so to speak.

^^^^^