[lbo-talk] stupidity is most dangerous in people with high IQ

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 06:28:17 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-16, at 8:21 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> was a typo. It wasn't to get hold of oil. To establish a military presence, yes. I still maintain that this is what we are doing there. It hasn't been successful - yet. But that was the motivation.

The US is pretty much trying to put the Iraq adventure behind it, and there is no evidence that "it is still trying to establish a military presence there…and hasn't been successful - yet."

The purpose of the invasion was a) to install a puppet regime under Ahmed Chalabi which would provide the US with basing rights, give preferential treatment to US oil firms, and recognize Israel and b) more broadly, to "shock and awe" states resisting the Empire (chiefly Iran, but also North Korea, Venezuela, and Cuba) into bowing to US dictates by demonstrating overwhelming US military power and the will of the new Bush Administration to deploy it wherever and whenever it pleased.

In all respects, the occupation of Iraq by US ground forces was a spectacular failure - the "demonstration effect" in fact demonstrating the limited power of the US to impose its will rather what was intended. Chalabi was swiftly marginalized, and the Shia-dominated regime which replaced Saddam Hussein proved more friendly to Iran and other than a puppet of the US. Neither the Iranians, Venezuelans, nor North Koreans were cowed into submission, but were emboldened by the US failure in Iraq. Apart from some unrepentant neoconservatives, Carrol is one of very few Americans who think the outcome was a victory rather than a defeat for the Bush administration and US imperialism.

Of course, the US still maintains a military presence worldwide, but having been burnt in Iraq as previously in Vietnam, it shies away from putting its own boots on the ground, and relies mainly on the use of drones and other advanced technology and the recruitment and training of pro-US forces in countries embroiled in civil wars.