[lbo-talk] Happy slaves

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:52:11 PDT 2013

I am not sure if they make that distinction. It is quite possible that they see only a brave new world of high technology and want to identify with it. You have the same principle operating here as well - people buy brands with which they identify, e.g. apple. I had a conversation with someone who barely makes ends meet but owns an expensive iphone and service. Argument that you can get the same level of service for less than half the price if you go with android fall on deaf ears because android products do not prominently display apple logo.

Branding is probably the most important aspect of modern life. You have an army, nay, hundreds of armies of grunts and schmucks who were told by advertisers that they are special and world revolves around them. I was on a shuttle today and the driver had the radio on, so I had to listen to some commercial station for about 30 minutes. Th tone of commercials - both the choice of words and intonation - was like mother talking to a child - you are special, our only goal to care about you blah blah. I hear from my wife that a lot of her student believe they are special - they the next star - pop culture, sports, you name it. Now, the reality is that these schmucks cannot graduate from high school, let alone achieve any noticeable success anywhere. So how else are they going show that they are not schmucks if not not by brandishing brands and symbolize status.

The commercial culture instilled high expectations into large segments of the population but these expectations cannot be met for most - not even close. The only way they can meet them is vicariously - by branding themselves with popular brands. It is pathetic but that is neoliberalism for you, and it trumped communism by this brand fetishism. Don't you remember people in Eastern Europe paying month's wages for a pair of blue jeans with an American brand sticker on it. Domestic jeans would not do the trick, it had to have the American brand sticker, even if the product was made locally to the order of an American firm.

You and I may find it pathetic and contemptible, but millions of schmucks around the world fall for it, because it helps them believe that they are not schmucks. Self-delusion is a very powerful motivator indeed.

Wojtek