[lbo-talk] Iraq war (was: stupidity is most dangerous in people with high IQ)

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Sat May 25 12:45:54 PDT 2013

Doug misses the irony of my reference to the sticks. Abbey has fans everywhere. His sensibility was, without a doubt, the dominant one in OWS. And let's see, I've spent time in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Tucson, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Salt Lake City and environs, Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Boulder, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Joplin, Madison, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Miami Beach, Washington DC, and yes, New York City. And I deal with writers from around the world on a regular basis, in India, China, Europe. Is that enough people for you? What happens in the West (the sticks in my ironic reference) affects us all, and Abbey was in the forefront of what is now the modern environmental movement.

Doug, do you think you're the real America? A sixty year old white guy? But I am not talking population numbers or real America (I don't even know what that means), but environmental disasters right in front of our eyes. And lots more that people all over the US are upset about. There are activists everywhere, thoughtful people, and this is what gives hope, not that Krugman is citing Kalecki or someone, Bhaskar Sunkara, writes an essay critical of the Nation that Katrina agrees to publish. Not that these might not be good things (Ok, I will say they are), but only that they might not be as significant as you think they are. Surely, we can disagree about this. Without some ridiculous comment that "you are not the real America." God, do you think that there aren't millions of boobs in the big cities?

We all do what we can to effect change. With very limited success so far. But we keep trying. Why badmouth one of the great writers of the west? Especially when he and his many progeny still have a lot to offer us. Why pretend that your sensibility is superior? Abbey was certainly as sophisticated, as well-versed in literature and art, etc. as you, and certainly I. And he knew a great deal about capitalism as well.