[lbo-talk] Iraq war (was: stupidity is most dangerous in people with high IQ)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 08:45:09 PDT 2013

Marv: "Today's lower level of political consciousness of urban workers and their allies in the universities, professions, and elsewhere is a product of the changed economic and political environment described above. My argument has been that the liberal bourgeois politicians in the US and Europe are a reflection rather than the cause of the diminished consciousness and combativity of the working class."

[WS:] It is a good argument, but it pertains mainly to blue collar occupations. The expanding white and pink collar occupations did not develop labor identity and militancy that goes with it, but rather identified itself with the bourgeoisie or perhaps petite bourgeoisie. The question is why?

I think that structural conditions that you refer to (welfare state, atomization, etc.) can only partially explain this lack of labor identity.

Case in point - some white/pink collar occupations remain unionized (e.g. teachers). I think that a big part of the explanation lies in what Bourdieu calls "cultural capital" - which cuts across class lines and divides working class into class fractions. By cultural capital he means life style considerations, such as forms of entertainment and leisure activities, aesthetic preferences, food choices etc.

If this analysis is correct it implies that the labor movement missed the boat - it got stuck in blue collar identity and its machismo that had little appeal to not only to female workers that entered the labor force en masse, but also to many white collar males.

-- Wojtek