[lbo-talk] Michael Sandel

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sun May 26 09:32:56 PDT 2013

    Not only are many profs forced to work on term contracts often at poverty-level wages, with developing technology many more profs will be replaced by stars delivering lectures from remote sites on TV:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/05/201351671529963410.html

    Michael Sandel will be one of these stars. His lectures on justice certainly do bring into question many. features of markets and points out some of the problematic relationships between markets and morality. Some of his criticisms of  Rawls seem well taken as well. I gather economists think of him as misrepresenting their views and the subject, including Herb Gintis. His response I find remarkable. This fellow used to be a sort of Marxist and co-authored a good book on schooling in America.There seems to be no analysis of markets in relation to capitalism in his critique of Sandel. What do others think of Sandel? When I was back teaching it was Nozick who was regarded as one of the keener critics of Rawls. http://www.bostonreview.net/BR37.3/ndf_herbert_gintis_markets_morals.php

http://www.economistsdoitwithmodels.com/2012/11/24/my-imagined-yet-realistic-debate-between-michael-sandel-and-the-economics-world/

Cheers, ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html