[lbo-talk] Revolutionary Movements & Parties was RE: Iraq war (was...)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 28 05:12:49 PDT 2013

shag carpet bomb

> right. but I still don't get how Carrol's claims about the democratic
party
> is where the potential for radicalism goes to die is an idealist position
> as you state.0

---------

It's an empirical generalization rather than an analytic abstraction, and might be idealist as much empiricism is. But it is also a position widely held. I picked up the exact phrase, "go to die," from an aside in an article in London Review of Books some years ago -- where it referred to the fate of the populist movement in the late 19th-c.

"Revolutionary" parties _can_, of course, play the same role. I have suggested that the Party we need will be much like the SPD of Kautsky, Luxemburg, Bernstein, et al. That was a revolutionary party, but it also was a place for the likes of Bernstein. Probably, as I've suggested before (following an argument of Andre Gorz) that a mass working-class movement has to achieve most of its goals within about a 5-year framework, and then (for reasons Charles Post has outlined) tends to subside.

Carrol