[lbo-talk] FW: [KB] Ghent Conference/Labyrinthine

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 31 10:37:01 PDT 2013

I have no opinion whatever on either the following post itself or on its subject matter, of which I am entirely ignorant, having never so much as peeked at the opening screen of a video game. But the topic has been raised on this list by Dennis R.

So, FWIW

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: kb-bounces at lists.purdue.edu [mailto:kb-bounces at lists.purdue.edu] On Behalf Of Jason Thompson Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 11:45 AM To: Stan Lindsay Cc: kb at lists.purdue.edu Subject: Re: [KB] Ghent Conference/Labyrinthine

Hello Ed,

I’m sorry—I don’t think that we’ve met, but I thought that, in addition to seconding the praise already mentioned in this thread, I might offer a slightly different perspective as someone who’s been studying video games and Burke for a little while now.

The convergence of Burke and video games/technology was reflected in the second day, and we heard evocative keynotes from two young scholars on some commonalities between Burke (identification, pentad, etc.) and Game Studies (with an emphasis on Ian Bogost, who proposes “procedural rhetoric” as a way to understand the relations among computer, game, and cultural scene). Barry Brummett brought up several immediate questions: how do we understand the structure of motivations within games, and what are some consistent motivations across games? With regard to violence, is there scapegoating, sin, transgression?

I saw wonderful presentations by graduate students and post-docs that interrogated war games, gamification for social good, online discourses for change, and game design for users with disease/disability.

It strikes me that the technology/games talks took up the difficulty of analyzing texts that are never discrete and never strictly verbal. New media/digital humanities scholars in general and Game Studies scholars in particular struggle with their own critical positionality when facing such complicated objects: do I “read” a first-person shooter like Medal of Honor as a narrative of WWII and, if so, do I include all 16 franchise titles, or only those that simulate WWII, or only the 2 that simulate the Pacific theatre? How do I account for the gameplay on its own terms? When presented with an in-game challenge that requires action, do I take this moment of interactivity as an example of Aarseth’s “ergotic literature” (aporia/epiphany) and/or its opposite, the illusion of interactivity (the game’s code predetermining all possible choices, an example of Burke’s “cow path”)? These question scratch the surface, as they don’t account for what McAllister terms “the computer game complex”: “the combination of computer games, gamers, and the industries that support them.”

I look forward to reading more from the scholars that I heard at the conference, and I anticipate learning a lot about Burke and the body, and Burke and technology. When a single video game (Call of Duty: Black Ops 2) grosses 500 million dollars in 24 hours, 1 billion in 15 days, and hundreds of millions of online multiplayer hours, our “naïve verbal realism” seems changed to “naïve media realism” or “naïve ludic realism.”

Just my two cents,

Jason