[lbo-talk] Got book reviewers? bloggers?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Nov 3 08:57:36 PST 2013

And we shouldn't forget the Bertrand Russell case of 1940. Russell had been appointed to a professorship at City College in NYC. A local Episcopalian bishop took exception to this appointment and he initiated a campaign against the famous philosopher's appointment which was soon joined by many other Protestant and Catholic clergymen, then got hyped by the Hearst press, and enjoyed the support of many Tammany Hall politicians. Russell was heavily atheist-baited and red-baited, even though he was no Communist. This (successful) campaign helped to set the stage for similar campaigns against other progressive academics in later years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bertrand_Russell_Case

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math

-------------------------------------------------- From: <knowknot at mindspring.com> Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 11:38 AM To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Got book reviewers? bloggers?