[lbo-talk] Does "Free Speech" Apply to Agents of the State?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 7 15:48:51 PST 2013

I just browsed through a long article on Inside Higher Ed on the alleged denial of free speech by students who hooted down a NYC Cop there to defend Stop-and-Frisk.

We the People (or even small bunches of us) are not challenging Free Speech when we attempt to deny speech to agents of the State. Free Speech is only for citizens not representing state power.

Back in the '70s we hooted a South African Consul off the state at ISU.

Carrol