[lbo-talk] Blog Post: The Treadmill of Life

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Nov 10 09:54:13 PST 2013

Full at http://cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2013/11/10/treadmill-life/

"Yesterday, we took a strenuous hike in the maze of rocks high above Moab, Utah. We were searching for petroglyphs and enjoying a warm, sunny autumn day. One of our sons was with us, helping us spot the ancient native pictures and making a detailed photographic record of what we found. It is difficult to describe the pleasure I feel on such days and the sense of wonder that people not only lived for thousands of years in this harsh place, but made beautiful art too. We let our minds wander. What do the figures on the rocks mean? Who were the artists? Could we communicate with them if they were standing before us? What would they think of what we have done to their home? The ugly potash plant we see in the distance. The jeeps, ATVs, and motorbikes wreaking havoc on the land." . . .