[lbo-talk] Labour and Labour Power

James Heartfield james at heartfield.org
Tue Nov 12 05:53:48 PST 2013

Here's a question for the Marx scholars among you.

In different accounts Marx says that he was struggling with the ideas of labour and exchange, until he made the distinction between labour and labour power. I got the impression that 'labour power' was Marx's own coinage. So I was a bit surprised, when reading the the Anti Slavery Reporter for Nov 1858, a paper by the secretary of the Anti Slavery Society, read at the Second Annual Conference for the Promotion of Social Science, a confident reference to the 'labour power' of the emancipated West Indians. Chamerovzow was radical, but I think knew nothing of Marx, certainly not in 1858. His audience would not have, either. Was the concept of Labour Power actually just well known, and Marx used it?