[lbo-talk] Bruce Bartlett: " I think it is only a matter of time before the Tea Party morphs into unapologetic fascism"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 11:19:20 PST 2013

Marv: "I didn't understand that to be your point. I understood you to be suggesting, as you have done previously, that the military - meaning the military high command - drove radical political change from the top, rather than it being the result of class struggles from below."

[WS:] Not at all. I think I explained this in my subsequent posts. The military is a class in itself but its behavior depends on the social context and social position of its personnel. The German military was as split as the Russian military was along similar class lines - but the timing (at the end of the WW1 and 10+ years after) made a big difference in the roles the military played in these two countries. In Russia it was civil war that the reds won. In Germany it was white military "civil society" that propelled the nazis to victory.

I also pointed out that organizing and theorizing the military are two different things. The organizers who called themselves marxist might have been successful at organizing the military, but that does not vindicate the marxist theory of the state or the military. I think that Weber travels much further here than Marx, although I also see Weber standing on Marx's shoulders rather than in opposition to him.

-- Wojtek