[lbo-talk] The psychological toll on invading armies

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:18:24 PST 2013

"Nearly one million active service members have been diagnosed with at least one mental health disorder since 2000; nearly half of those have been diagnosed with two or more. According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, an estimated 22 veterans take their own lives each day."

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/11/11/the_untold_story_of_war_us

I was surprised to learn that PTTSD, brain injuries, addictions, depression, and especially the incidence of suicide was this high. I doubt veterans of revolutionary civil wars or wars of national liberation would exhibit the same symptoms to this extent, but that's strictly an impression. Anyone know more?