[lbo-talk] tipping and control

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 17 13:15:14 PST 2013

I have been increasingly saddened, enraged, and disgusted by the endless complaints about the loony right, etc that are posted on Alternet, Common Dreams, e-lists, etc.

I particularly gag at rants about Fox News, Pat Robinson, etc.

Fox has _no_ impact on any public opinon that counts. It does strengthen rightists in their opinions but it does not create those opinions.

The Enemy is The Democratic Party, where (as an LRB writer mentioned years ago) social movements go to die. The Obama Administration has successfully smashed Left activity in the United States. The results will be the same in 2016 REGARDLESS of the nominee.

Workrs for several decades have not been able to mobilize and fight. That is the _whole_ explanation for the success of the Capitalist Offensive, before which we at resent have no defense; and unless potential left activists get over their childish ravings about The Right we will be unable to build a defense.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Andy Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:35 PM To: lbo Subject: [lbo-talk] tipping and control

The following blog post really struck me at the time (during the federal shutdown), converging with some of Cory Robin's observations about persistent threads within conservatism. The latest example of this sort of thing...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/11/gay-waitress-tip-dayna-morales- new-jersey.html

...reminded me of it, particularly with respect to the idea of eliminating government welfare in favor of private and particularly religious charity as a way of enforcing moral judgement.

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-punishers-want-to-run-country-o r-we.html

<quote>

Varney's attitude towards the Federal Work force is the same attitude as (some) diners take when they are eating out in a fine restaurant and they fear that they don't have enough money or status to get good service--and they suspect that someone else is getting better service. They want to tip, and they want to use the tip to punish the worker for failing to give exceptional service to the important people (the diner himself).

The diner comparison isn't because I think this is trivial, but because people take the issues surrounding service in restaurants very, very, seriously and become nearly as unhinged as Varney when they don't feel they can control the experience they are having. And I think (and others are arguing this right now) that a huge part of the Republican experience of governance in the US right now is about disapointment and lack of control. They are emotionally in the position of people who used to be offered the best seat in the house and could order a la carte without worrying about the bill, and now they think they are being relegated to the back of the restaurant and they imagine that they are paying the bills for other people for meals they won't enjoy. But the comparison isn't based only on this metaphor--I also think that Varney's attitude, which is the Republican attitude encapsulated, is based on another and deeper cultural reality: that for Republicans the government itself is understood as an employee and the individual Republican fancies himself an employer--and he wants the power of that relationship to be vindicated in every instance. Where it is not expressed and understood as oppressive then its not working for Varney.

[...]

The Restaurant customer, and I'd argue many Americans, don't respect work or workers and see situations in which they are served by a worker as a kind of passion play in which the served get to experience the power of the purse, the power of the john vis a vis the prostitute, the power to coerce service and specifically the power to punish one person for disappointment or bad service or really anything the tipper wants to punish that person for. More than that: Americans see tipping as an occasion to right the wrongs of a situation and to restore a balance--a balance that is upset when one person (the client) expects something good and gets something they didn't want.

[...]

What does this have to do with the Republican Party? The Republican Party at this point in time is entirely made up of *Punishers* who think they are entitled to treat the government--and especially the government of Barack Obama--as waiters who need to be shown their place. This should surprise no one. At heart the entire Republican Party is made up of winners and losers and they are united in just one thing: they think that money is the only way to tell who is who. If you have money, you use that to distinguish yourself from the losers and to demonstrate your superiority by punishing them further. If you are a loser--a worker, for example, or have no health insurance (say) your job as a Republican is to take your status as a given, accept it, and turn around and get your jollies kicking someone else farther down the line.

[...]

Why are Federal Workers a special case and a problem for Republicans? In the case of Federal Workers I'd argue that its not merely that they are workers (who are always despised) its because they are workers who for the most part don't conform to Republican ideas of the right boundaries for workers. The right boundaries for workers are that *they know their place*, that they *can be fired capriciously*, and that they exist primarily to make the *employer feel good about himself* and, further, that like waiters in a restaurant and prostitutes with their johns their job is also to make the employer believe that he is receiving an extra good form of treatment not accorded to others diners or johns.

<unquote>