[lbo-talk] tipping and control

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Nov 17 22:02:04 PST 2013

Good stuff here.

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-punishers-want-to-run-country-or-we.html

I think there's one other dimension to the restaurant stuff. My daughter works in a restaurant and she says it's striking to note the difference between customers waiting to be seated (anxious, quick to anger, resentful, paranoid) and once they are seated (grateful, genial, relaxed, trusting, etc.)

There's something about sitting down at the table and being waited on that must bring back some kind of primal being catered to and fed scene. The waiter is now like the mother, ever attentive, anticipating needs before you even become aware of them, not intrusive, present but invisible. So it's not just that less than perfect service downgrades one's status, it's that it's a betrayal by the mother,one of the greatest and most painful betrayals we experience. I say this because the angst about seating and the pleasure in being tended to is not unique to high-end restaurants. You see it at Denny's.

Joanna