[lbo-talk] tipping and control

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Nov 18 19:22:22 PST 2013

one other thing the anxiety is about: choices. One thing that's big in designing for the user/customer experience right now is how overwhelmed people feel by too much choice and too much information.

everybody thought they wanted all this information but what has happened with all this "choice" and all this access to information is that people feel stressed and overwhelmed by it. This is especially true when it comes to getting a bargain which people are typically doing in the online space. There is, on the one hand, so many choices. But there is not enough time. So, on the other hand, there is a sense of loss: what good deal could i have gotten had I had enough time and the right skills at finding a great deal. Often, this sense of loss is accompanied by feelings of depression and remorse. "What could have been!"

Meanwhile, what happens in a restaurant, especially if it's at a chain in a development where there are 3-4, possibly 10-12 options all in the same general 1-2 mile area, and all pretty much the same suburban generica in terms of food is that you:

1. find a parking spot 2. get inside to find a wait. 3. wonder if you should have picked one of the other restaurants. 4. being unsure as to the waiting time where you might otherwise go, you can't decide whether to split and try one of the other options or wait it out.

The anxiety can be about the sense of "loss" one feels when there are so many nearby easy choices that could have been made.