[lbo-talk] tipping and control

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 07:06:41 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

> In user experience landia, it's because people don't like to wait. They
> feel out of control. This isn't a republican or conservative thing. AS Mary
> Douglas pointed out long ago, all rituals surrounding purity and danger are
> about putting order on things that otherwise feel out of control.

The phenomenon may not be confined to the present context, but I've seen work (I forget by who, I probably saw it via Chris Mooney) that indicates that one of the things that differentiate American conservatives and liberals is a greater concern for purity on the part of the former.

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."