[lbo-talk] tipping and control

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Nov 19 16:30:44 PST 2013

Just wanted to point out, btw, the the author I thought was wrong WRT to how customers behave was the one writing the No Mo Mister blog. In it, he makes a sweeping generalization about how restaurant goers behave and references the work of a restauranteur who went to a no tipping policy. But if you read that guys areticles, what he actually says is that _most_ customers don't use tips to punish wait staff. Instead, they treat the act of tipping as a business transaction - I tip out X amount because it's expected and I know wait staff don't earn much.

And, ironically, this restauranteur removed the tipping policy in order to command better preformance from his service staff! LOL IOW, he was removing the very thing that, turns out, encourages "poor performers" to continue performing poorly: the nearly automatic tip most service staff experience.

"Restaurant owners and managers are encouraged to embrace tipping because, supposedly, the customer's tipping decision holds the server accountable for quality, relieving the restaurant of costs spent on supervising and supporting their servers. But in truth ­ as shown by <http://tippingresearch.com/uploads/managing_tips.pdf>the<http://tippingresearch.com/uploads/managing_tips.pdf> Michael Lynn research mentioned in the last post ­ customers largely abdicate that role. Instead the customers give only very weak feedback to the server with their tips, and in my observation even the worst servers take the lack of strong negative feedback as confirmation that they are providing acceptable service. So here's yet another, profound, way that tipping promotes bad service and hurts both businesses and customers: Because tipping correlates weakly to service quality, and because individual tips are always subject to interpretation, tipping removes the incentive for poor performing servers to improve. "

<http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-4/>http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-4/