[lbo-talk] tipping and control, again

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 06:29:23 PST 2013

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It's dishonest to treat anyone's politics as reflecting "purity,"
> purification, etc.
>

> You mean like Hitler's? Nazism had a lot to do with purification and
purity. And I do think it's applicable in some way to Trotskyism: How does the joke go, something like if you gather five Trots you'll have three splits and two tendencies? And what about the anarchist collective that the other day released a statement in opposition to Kshama Sawant's election because she didn't run on the platform of abolishing capitalism, only its reform? That sounds like a stand based on purity to me.

But maybe not. I think Shag first raised the issue of purity. But she coupled it with danger, and it probably only makes sense to think of them together.