[lbo-talk] tipping and control

Mike Ballard mbbtraven5 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 06:16:10 PST 2013

Hi,

When I first moved to Australia, I still tipped for awhile. But then, I found that nobody else did. Must be the better labour laws we have down here. That's what I reckoned and still think. There's much more union power in Australia than in the USA. The Democrats basically ignore the unions whereas here, they have substantial input in the Labor Party and to some extent in the Greens in Australia.

I worked as a busboy for about three months so during my uni years at MSU. I know how divide and rule works when it comes to tip sharing. In fact, that's a large part of what's wrong with restaurant work in the USA, lack of union amongst workers to get better wages and working conditions. Combine that with lack of political will to force politicians to stand up and take notice of pro-working class interests in legislation and you've got the petty power tripping and sycophancy between individuals which makes up the culture of tipping and control.

Mike B)

-- Wobbly times http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com.au/