[lbo-talk] Theory and practice

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Nov 21 22:53:40 PST 2013

Gar writes:

> A firm that accepts a contract will, at best, have goal
> of fulfulling the contract. People who work for you will
> not, at least your management is competent, play word
> games with instructions. They will try to figure out what
> you really are aiming for and do their best to give it to
> you.

I've seen the exact opposite: contracts mean that you're on the hook for getting it right, keeping it running, fixing bugs, maintaining things. Being an employee means that one day -- could be tomorrow! -- you'll say "I have something better to do, see you never."

I've had people call me 5 years after the end of a contract for some custom piece of whatever, and of course: I take their call. Try calling someone who left as an employee five years ago to come in on a weekend and fix a bug.

/jordan