[lbo-talk] Theory and practice

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Nov 23 03:31:30 PST 2013

I'll the economists here amongst us take up the issues involved in Gar's post on a more theoretical level in light of the late Ronald Coase's 1937 paper, "The Nature of the Firm" (http://www3.nccu.edu.tw/~jsfeng/CPEC11.pdf). Coase was basically trying to answer the question of why should firms exists at all within a competitive market economy and why would they bother to do so many things in house. Why not outsource everything?

As it so happens, Coase in that paper quoted extensively from the writings of the Marxist economist Maurice Dobb. One question in the back of Coase's mind was why did the Soviet economy seem to be flourishing back then when orthodox economic theory (which Coase embraced) strongly implied should not be able to happen. Coase realized that the same theory implied that firms, where many things are done in-house rather than outsourced raised some of the same issues too.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Gar Lipow" <gar.lipow at gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:52 PM To: "LBO" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Theory and practice