[lbo-talk] Theory and practice

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Nov 24 08:50:46 PST 2013

Gar notes:

> One big advantage of having work done in-house rather than
> contracted is simply that the odds of the people doing the
> work identifying with the company the work is done for is
> much much greater.

On the other hand, what I see a lot is that the in-house team gets asked to do something they've never done before, and so they set out to learn about it, and approximately build their first "waffle"[*] ... instead, maybe the outside team has done the task several times and understands it enough to make the thing the right way the first time.

I used to have a cartoon on my wall that showed two Eskimos standing next to an idealized-looking igloo ... except that it was upside-down. One says to the other: let me guess, you've never actually built an igloo before, right?

/jordan

[*] "Software is like waffles; you have to throw the first one out"