[lbo-talk] Personal request - poetry recommendation needed

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 05:30:35 PDT 2013

Random thoughts as they occur to me (away from my books).

They're probably too long (though they could be excerpted), but "Eve of St Agnes" and "Lamia" by Keats come to mind, as well as "Christabel" and "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Coleridge, all quite spooky.

The Queen Mab speech in *Romeo and Juliet *(1.4.58-100) is pretty over the top.

Maybe one of Browning's monologs would be fun---"My Last Duchess" is spooky in a different way (one website describes it as akin to *Silence of the Lambs *! ); or "Hunting of the Snark" (which would have to be excerpted, probably) by Lewis Carroll; if done with a straight face it could be both spooky and hilarious.

"Ear candy" makes me think of Vachel Lindsay, too---"General William Booth Enters into Heaven"?

None of these seem quite right, but maybe they'll help someone else come up with something.