[lbo-talk] Personal request - poetry recommendation needed

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 9 09:32:45 PDT 2013

If she could introduce whatever main text she chooses with a few "snippets," there are many short passages to choose from. My favorite:

The wanton troopers riding by Have shot my fawn and it must die.

"My Last Duchess" is indeed terrifying -- but I'm afraid it takes commentary and rethinking to bring the horror out.

I gave commands; Then all smiles stopped together.

The Silence of the Lambs indeed.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Gar Lipow Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:48 AM To: LBO Subject: [lbo-talk] Personal request - poetry recommendation needed

My 91 year lod Mom enjoys giving readings on Halloween. She is a minor star at the local reader's theater on that day. Last year she read Poe's "the Bells" (which IMO is much spookier than the Raven - if you have the breath control to read it out loud.) At any rate she does not think she can top the "The Bells" but it would be a great present to her to prove her wrong - to find her something spooky melodramatic and over the top that can beat the Bells.

The Highwayman is not bad when it comes to melodrama and over the topness, but as My Mom say, does not come close to "The Bells". Anyone on this list have any suggestions? Looking for ear candy, meant to be read out loud.. Over the top, melodramic (or comic) with a strong supernatural element. No worries about delivery - if Ruth can recite "The Bells", and get the reaction Poe intended, she can recite anything..

Oh and if you have not encountered "The Bells" lately, here is a link http://knowingpoe.thinkport.org/writer/thebells_fulltext.asp . onomatopoeic ear candy and over the top melodrama. No depth, but oh what a surface.