[lbo-talk] Doug, on Salon

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 12 17:45:29 PDT 2013

Japanese Feudalism was pretty stable. In fact most peasant societies are stable. When they fail it is almost always from outside disruption. Even when a ruling class becomes "decadent" (a tricky concept) it takes outside intervention to bring the "system" down (and replace it with a more or less identical 'system.'). I put _system_ in s care quotes because I think it arguable that only capitalism is actually a "system" (held together by internal relations) -- and hence subject to Hegelian principle.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Smith Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:22 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Doug, on Salon

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 10:38:22 +1100 Bill Bartlett <william7 at aapt.net.au> wrote:

> I wonder whether it might not be taking it a bit too far to suggest
> that what he calls "rentier" capitalism could be a stable economic
> system?

Has there ever been such a thing as a 'stable economic system'?

If such a thing were possible, would it be a Good Thing?

One of the insights Marx got from Hegel, I'd say, is that there's no such thing as stability. Each system systematically destabilizes itself.