[lbo-talk] sailing poem

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Oct 12 19:17:48 PDT 2013

Ah, yes, Marvell. I don't know why people say Donne is hard. I think Marvell is much, much harder.

I can see he's a great poet, but I have a very hard time understanding him.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 01:53:15 +0000 (UTC) "JOANNA A." <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tropical. Think tropical.

Okay. My man Andrew Marvell, quondam colleague of John Milton in Oliver Cromwell's Foreign Office:

Where the remote Bermoothes ride In th' ocean's bosom unespied,
>From a small boat that row'd along
The list'ning winds received this song:— "What should we do but sing His praise That led us through the watery maze Where He the huge sea-monsters wracks, That lift the deep upon their backs, Unto an isle so long unknown, And yet far kinder than our own?"