[lbo-talk] sailing poem

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 13 09:10:47 PDT 2013

A lot of seduction poems have a memento mori moment. This is a particularly brilliant one, but it's still a hint to gather ye roses while ye may.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Well, assume it's a seduction poem.. Then why does it make "success" seem so unpleasant: "Tear our pleasures with rough strife / Through the iron gates of life."

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of turbulo at aol.com Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:13 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] sailing poem

Ah, yes, Marvell. I don't know why people say Donne is hard. I think Marvell is much, much harder.

I can see he's a great poet, but I have a very hard time understanding him.

Joanna

******************************************* You understand his best known poem, "To His Coy Mistress", don't you?

Jim

Jim