[lbo-talk] Obamacare as model of the pwogwessive future?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 21 12:38:42 PDT 2013

By Lambert Strether of Corrente.

"...One of the pervasive tropes that factions in the political class have propagated in the “left”-leaning discourse of the present moment is that the Republicans/Tea Party/conservatives are reactionary and backward-looking, that they want a future where the United States has returned to an inferior past, like the Gilded Age, or even the antebellum South.[1] There’s even a whole cluster of tropes that conservatives like say Wisconsin’s Scott Walker or Alberta’s Ron Harper are really seeking secession and the restoration of the Confederacy. (OK, I made up the part about Harper.) Never mind the teleology implicit in that view, also implicit in the concept “progressive” (progress toward what, one might ask). But for the sake of the argument let’s accept it. But do we ever consider the notion that the Democrats/”progressives”/liberals also have a future in mind for us, forward-looking but just as horrific in its own way as a future that’s backward-looking? I don’t think we do, and in this post I would like to fight my way towards doing so..."

> What If We Thought of ObamaCare as a New Model for Future Government
> Programs?
> http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/10/what-if-we-thought-of-obamacare-new-model-future-government-programs.html

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,

kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos