[lbo-talk] Creeping neoliberalism endangers rail safety

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 05:39:13 PDT 2013

While each of the recent crashes in Europe had its own circumstances, these factors were shared, according to different countries’ trade unions, which contend that the accidents reveal not so much the failings of any one driver than those of an increasingly precarious system.

“This is a system that is more vulnerable from our point of view; it’s totally in transition, changing from an old system to a new system,” said Sabine Trier, the deputy general secretary of the European Transport Workers’ Federation. “A series of accidents in such a short period of time and in countries that normally have sophisticated systems raises a lot of questions.”

She added: “In the 10 years to create a single, competitive market, we’ve seen old state-owned companies strive to become more productive. What we have experienced over a long period is a reduction of personnel to increase productivity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/09/world/europe/european-rail-crashes-hint-at-gaps-in-system.html?pagewanted=1&src=recg

-- Wojtek