[lbo-talk] Black America and a New Freedom Budget

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Thu Sep 12 14:44:58 PDT 2013

Paul Le Blanc and I have an essay up at truthout. Here is the link: http://truth-out.org/news/item/18757-black-america-and-a-new-freedom-budget

I still find the data on the socioeconomic condition of our black sisters and brothers astonishing. I welcome comments.

I posted a reference to the book Paul and I wrote on a facebook page dedicated to people who grew up in my hometown in the 1950s and 60s. I said that I remembered a great deal of racism in the town. This elicited some remarkable comments, either denying racism or saying that they (the commenters) and their families faced similar hardships. This is, to say the least, not true. But no facts that I provided dented their beliefs. The subtext was, of course, that blacks should have bucked up and made something of themselves, as they had.