[lbo-talk] You're harshing my intensity

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Sep 22 13:44:44 PDT 2013

ha. Yeah. I have a friend who's 55, semi-retired and runs his own business repairing a certain speciality shop machine. He does this Randonneuring, putting my sorry as to shame. I've been doing centuries all season and we hope to be doing the 200 miler next spring. This guy gets on his bike and does 250 miles on a Thursday. BAH! He rides a recumbent, so it's easier, but still takes some major legs, endurance, and core. What's more, he'll ride another one a few days after. And yeah, he does it with friends and the goal is, well, just to attain the goal. (He loves to keep track of the miles and stats, too, and noted that even with all the work, he still gained 10 lbs in a year!)

Last week, we did a local century on country back roads. There were signs along the way for a couple of participants: family put up signs that said, "so proud of you." etc.

We did a century in Amish country a few weeks ago. Rode with a group called the Spokesmen for awhile. They live all over the PA, VA, MD, DC, DE area and get together for these events, some from as far away as IL, just to meet up and ride as a group. They were having a total blast. There was a young woman who got into the middle of the group. She'd been riding alone and had been struggling. The group came along and she felt the slipstream pull her in. She worked hard to make sure she didn't get dropped, then snugged into the middle of the group. Whee. You could see the look of relief on her face.

She looks over at one of the riders and says, "wow. This is so much easier. I don't think I would have made the 100 miles if you hadn't come along." (you work about 35% less when you're drafting)

Girl next to her says, "No one can do these things alone honey."

Of course, we can and DO complete centuries alone, it's just that there's nothing wrong with a little teamwork. No one even gave a shit that she never pulled - took the lead.

I thought that exchange was so emblematic of why these things are fun - the interesting mixing of individual and communal experience, of stoic aloneness combined with the good fun of riding in a pack where you have to coordinate and get into a rhythm.

But yeah, I agree that the fad for sports these days is mainly about the fact that people know they need to exercise to stay healthy. Sitting on our asses is turning out to be the prime cause of so much of our problems - healthwise. As far as I can see, everyone is having a blast taking up these sports - whether it's running marathons, ultramarathons, centuries, randonneuring, triathalons, the mud runs/races, etc.

The recent emergence of the Gran Fondo is another example of that mix of doing it for fun/for a fitness goal . At the ones I've been to, there will be marching bands and cheerleaders at rest stops, with people on the front lawns cheering you on. They turn it into a big celebratory event and you get medals and chip-timed. Some can compete if they wish, but I'd say only about 100 out of the 1000 riding were actually racing competitively.