[lbo-talk] Doing some research on an old family legend. Can any experts on Russia help?

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 15:07:48 PDT 2013

We have a family legend that my Grandfather (a tanner) fled to the US from Russia after killing a Cossack. I recently learned his original name and probably home town " Welwel Lipowitz. Born about 1884, immigrated 1905, manifest lists his hometown as what looks like "Czaus," which I'm pretty sure must be Chavusi, Belarus."

I would imagine the murder was pretty obscure if it happened. Does anyone know how to track this? I don't even know if the murder was personal or political, though I believe Grandpa may have been involved with some sort of left Jewish Bund. I'm curious as to how much truth there is in the family legend, though don't know how likely I am to be able to find out anything one way or another. Also does anyone have an email for Chris Doss. Seems like he would be a good person on this - not only in Moscow, but really interested in Cossack history.

Thanks

Gar

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow Twitter: GarLipow Solving the Climate Crisis web page: SolvingTheClimateCrisis.com Grist Blog: http://grist.org/author/gar-lipow/ Online technical reference: http://www.nohairshirts.com