[lbo-talk] Fruitvale Station

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Sep 30 00:24:16 PDT 2013

The movie "Fruitvale Station" is a dramatic re-enactment of the last two days in the life of Oscar Grant, the man who was murdered by a BART cop, new years day 2009. His death triggered riots in Oakland.

I saw it this afternoon, and I have to say that it was the best movie I've seen this year. Not since "The Wire" have I seen anything that is better able to suggest what it is like being a black man with no future in the U.S. today.

I had been avoiding it for months, fearing its intensity and ....didn't need another reason to feel depressed. But I noticed that despite a complete lack of publicity, it lingered in local theaters for well over two months...so it must have been word of mouth, and it must have been good. So I went to see it.

I recommend it. It will probably be out in video shortly. One of the actors from "The Wire," Michael Jordan, plays Oscar Grant. The acting is superb.

Joanna