[lbo-talk] OMFG ...algorithms over unions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 24 11:49:23 PDT 2014

Working people of the world have experienced one defeat after another for the last 40 years. I suppose there is a certain emotional comfort the mere intellectual bystander can find in calling capitalists & capitalist elites stupid. Capitalism as a system is utterly unthreatened at the moment.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joel Schlosberg Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:04 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] OMFG ...algorithms over unions

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 9:08 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Nothing has come so close to make me weep as the stubborn
> > insistence of lbo-posters that the policies of the Bush Administration
> were
> > stupid.
>
> Yeah, I know you feel this way, but you could make an argument from a
> purely bourgeois POV that they were very stupid. Bush left the U.S. deep
in
> debt, helped contribute to the worst economic crisis in 80 years,
> demonstrated to the world the limits of U.S. military power, weakened the
> prestige of the country in a purely imperial sense, and made things in
Iraq
> far worse than the would have been without his war.

> So, yeah, if I'm a serious bourgeois, I'd call them stupid.

The only way I could see it as an upside for the bourgeoisie is as a very crafty plan to make the approach of the Clinton era's "peace and prosperity" (as in that classic Onion headline "Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'") look good in comparison.

Joel Schlosberg

Doug