[lbo-talk] Check your privilege: Rise of the Post-New Left political vocabulary

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 4 14:35:24 PST 2014

I agree about the use of "only." But I stopped reading the article when I got to the following:

" It's not so much that the words they use would be unfamiliar. Certainly 'privilege' is not a new word, for instance. But these newcomers to the 1970 Left would have a way of talking about politics and political action that would seem strange and off-kilter to the others at the meeting. If one of the time travellers told others at the meeting to "check their privilege," it's not that anyone would disagree, exactly. It's that they wouldn't understand what was meant, or why it was supposed to be important or relevant.

This is babbling nonsense. "Check your privilege" is simple bullshit. Or it could be a deliberate attempt to sabotage political discussion.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Shane Mage Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:35 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Check your privilege: Rise of the Post-New Left political vocabulary

On Feb 4, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing how the article is any dumber, or more
> grossly simplified or New Agey, than the language it reports.
>
> If it has flaws or inaccuracies, what are they? Serious question.

Don't expect a meaningful response. Nobody who talks about "class- first-and-only leftists" is to be taken any more seriously than those (Heinrich groupy) types who attack Marx's crisis theory as "falling- rate-of-profit-first-and-only leftism." The word ONLY is where the devil's tail always sticks through.

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This article is d-u-m. Grossly simplified, newagey taxonomy. So of
>> course
>> it's been seized upon by conservative, class-first-and-only
>> leftists as
>> revealing the shortcomings of today's (allegedly) individualist,
>> therapeutic identitarians. Bleck.
>>
>> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There's lots of interest here for those from the right mileaus. I
>>> might follow up with some thoughts later, but will start with the
>>> link
>>> for now.

http://rabble.ca/news/2014/02/check-your-privilege-rise-post-new-left-politi cal-vocabulary

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos