[lbo-talk] Check your privilege: Rise of the Post-New Left political vocabulary

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Feb 6 07:42:50 PST 2014

On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:11 AM, "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Under almost ALL conditions the essential revolutionary act is non-violent
> civil disobedience.
….
> But non-violent civil disobedience remains the primary tactic.

Carrol makes good points, as always, and I don't disagree that NVCD is an important and valuable tactic. Not quite willing to embrace such sweeping formulations as 'the essential revolutionary act' and 'primary tactic'.

It's funny -- I think I know what 'inessential' and 'secondary' mean, but I'd be hard put to define 'essential' and 'primary'.

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

I am one of those that are willing to be pleased. -- Dr J