[lbo-talk] Mathematics of the unmeasurable

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 21 08:48:51 PST 2014

Econ Students Revolting in the UK. http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/21605-rethinking-economics-from-the-uk-a-global-student-movement-takes-shape

The discipline’s pretensions towards being a hard science have limited the mathematical equations in consideration to those that have factors that can be assigned a measured number.

The omission of subjective factors and unknowable quantities from economic math does not make economics scientific; it makes it blind.

Rates of production like the GDP are measured, but the omission of the life span of the things produced is omitted. GDP is merely a measure of activity. (which is the implicit goal of normal economics) However, the wealth we have, our stock of goods, is properly calculated by the rate of production multiplied by the life span of the goods produced. High rates of production will result in little wealth on hand if the goods vanish soon after production.

It is not unscientific to consider that equation. It seems we don't care about the wealth we have so much as we care about rates of profit, job creation, and the "inefficiency" of leaving some resources for the future.

The omission of time and the vulgar confusion of rates and amounts by economists is embarrassing.

Barry http://home.earthlink.net/~durable/