[lbo-talk] Blog Post: Teaching Workers

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 12:10:51 PST 2014

I think Joanna has part of the explanation. There is at least one other element, however: People feel beaten down, but they don't want to be told they're beaten down either because they already know it (in a way, Marx's point) or they want to imagine that they're not (perhaps what the Marine was feeling).

"Hope" and "change" are, as we have seen repeatedly, more popular---maybe almost as popular as scapegoating. But given the validity of Joanna's point, the nostrums on offer have to be phony: "We'll change things, but it won't hurt anybody."

Could this be the reason why *class* consciousness is a prerequisite? Change is one way or another mostly going to be bad for individuals, and thus the importance of emphasizing self-centeredness so as to maintain the status quo.