[lbo-talk] Caudwell on on language's inability to reflect the changing nature of reality

Charles Brown cb31450 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 19:34:41 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Eubulides <autoplectic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Charles Brown <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ==========
>>>
>>> How does language get out of touch with reality?
>>>
>>> E.
>>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^
>> CB: Caudwell claims that language is fixed and reality is fluid.
>> Words are snap shots of reality that is a motion picture.
>
> =========
>
> I would surmise that a critical-historical investigation of the
> linguistic practices of our species demonstrates that languages are no
> more fixed than than anything else.
>
> E.

^^^^^^^^^^^ CB: You might be correct, but to play devil's advocate to initiate a small investigation , imitating Heraclitis, the Detroit River is very fluid and changing, but our name for it remains the same for many years. Or , my name is Charles Brown through my whole life, but I'm a different group of molecules and otherwise changed from the beginning of my life.

I suppose the more abstract the word away from the name...