[lbo-talk] Thought for the day, from C. Wright Mills' The Power Elite

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 17:23:46 PST 2014

This in particular is bullshit:

>> Given how many people struggle to make ends meet, this may seem a
> frivolous problem. Nonetheless, the researchers note that productivity
> rates have risen, which theoretically lets many people be just as
> comfortable as previous generations while working less. Yet they choose not
> to.

It's not that people "choose" to work less, it's that others capture the fruits of their productivity increases, and not because of voluntary agreement to that division of assets. Real wages are near stagnant since 1973, according to some studies since 1964, on average, so if you are lucky enough to be able to work more, you really don't have any choice. Unless you say these people "choose" mot to live in the streets and eat out of dumpsters. Or is my Marxist showing again?

Sent from my iPad