[lbo-talk] Caudwell on on language's inability to reflect the...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 9 09:26:47 PST 2014

Wherever and whenever one finds oneself one is already enmeshed in an ensemble of social relations. The 'individual,' existing prior to an independently of such and ensemble, does not exist. Pur another way: "I" do not have a history; I _am_ my history.

The "individual" enters 'modern' literature with Lycidas & Paradise Lost. Both 'narrator' and 'reader' of both texts enter as from nowhere, compelled freely to form a relationship that did not exist before.

One cannot understand commodity production without out grasping the non-existence of the individual.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Arthur Maisel Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:24 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Caudwell on on language's inability to reflect the...

Pardon? Who am I speaking to? Sorry---you seem to be breaking up.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> This discussion seems to assume the existence of the individual. That is a
> false assumption.
>
> Carrol

Joseph