[lbo-talk] Why Egypt’s Liberal Intellectuals Still Support the Army

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 13:10:21 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 4:21 AM, Doug La Rocca <douglarocca at gmail.com>wrote:

He is right to regard the dictatorship of the military as revolutionary in
> these circumstances, for the simple reason that it DOESN'T offer itself as
> a long-term political form but rather as transitional.

I take it you've never spent five minutes researching Egypt's political history. The whole trick to military dictatorship there is to NOT "offer it ... as a long-term political form but rather" to call it something else altogether.

Did Nasser ever (post-1956) call his regime a military one? Sadat? Abu Taleb? Mubarak?

No. What's that tell you?