[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Why Egypt’s Liberal Intellectuals Still Support the Army

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 11:15:36 PST 2014

  Thanks for correcting the link. I wrote a short article on the issue and appended a video:

http://http://digitaljournal.com/news/politics/op-ed-usa-conspiring-against-egypt-and-military-head-al-sisi/article/366686http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ItTK1H5Nsqs

cheers ken

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:45:01 PM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

  The McClatchy article is quite old now from last August but the nonsense continues: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/18/egyptians-kill-americans-in-streets-editor-threatens

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:04:24 PM, Bill Bartlett <william7 at aapt.net.au> wrote:

On 20/01/2014, at 2:45 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the single stupidest conspiracy theory in history. At least, I
> can't think of another contender.

Neither can I.

> If you have time to kill, read more about its glorious, mind-numbing
> stupidity:
>
> http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/08/30/200912/in-egypt-the-press-turn-yellow.html

Quoting from that article, here's the biggest concern:

“The real fear is that the extreme violence being practiced by the state will create a new generation of terrorist groups,” said Sultan. “I’m afraid that the worst is yet to come.”

If this fear did not materialise, it would be a miracle of biblical proportions. Ruled as it is by one of the most thuggish, corrupt and incompetent military dictatorships in a region beset by thuggish, corrupt and incompetent military dictatorships, Egypt seems doomed to descend into the kind of ultra violent civil war that is sweeping many other places in the region.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas