[lbo-talk] Beyond Growth or Beyond Capitalism?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Jan 24 09:07:55 PST 2014

Grace writes:

> I've been working with someone who has some ideas about
> this problem. He wants to change the curriculum to prepare
> people for what it's like to work on software projects.

Boy, is this ever backwards. People don't get much useful training on how to "work on software projects" and so: they make it up! Poorly! A huge part of the complexity and consequent low productivity of "working on software projects" comes from not knowing what to do or how to do it in the first place.

Isaac Newton is reported to have said "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ... software types "stand on the toes of giants" ...

> I have to say that the last thing the left should worry
> about is whether a liberal arts education should prepare
> people for jobs. It wasn't ever supposed to prepare people
> for jobs.

Too late, you can't take it back. It is what it is.

/jordan