[lbo-talk] Quiz #1

Charles Brown cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 06:21:29 PST 2014

CB: Based on expert advice from Lb-observers-teachers, no multiple choice questions; open book

Anthropology 152 Professor Brown

Quiz #1

1. What is anthropology ? What are its four sub-fields and what do they do ? What is the anthropological concept of culture ?

2. What is biological evolution ? What is Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection ? What is genetic drift ?

3 How might anthropology's explanations of people's beliefs and behavior challenge your personal perspective on the following questions ( if they do challenge you) ? Where did we humans come from ? Why do we act in certain ways ? Do these questions matter to you ?

4. What is the definition "species" in biology ? What are the unique characteristics of the human species ?

5. What is ethno-centrism ? Do you agree with anthropologists' efforts to teach people to be less ethno-centric ? Why or why not ?

6 Scientific fact and theory ( itself a belief system) can challenge other belief systems. Is it possible for scientific models of human evolution and religious stories of creation to coexist ? Why or why not ?